At a Step Above Plumbing Inc., we would never encourage you to attempt complex residential plumbing repair on your own. However, there are some steps you can (and perhaps should!) take that can help you avoid residential plumbing repair projects that go beyond what a handy DIYer could reasonably expect to handle.
- Be observant- Many major residential plumbing repair situations start out small. Catch them early and you could avoid water damage and a costly repair.
- Be proactive- Maintenance is as important for plumbing as it is any other asset you have. A regularly scheduled inspection, water heater services, and other plumbing maintenance can help you avoid residential plumbing repair.
- Be careful- There are many safety measures you can take that can help you avoid residential plumbing repair. For example, use drain covers to avoid clogged drains and don’t put FOGs (fat, oil, grease) down the drain.
- Be educated- Learn what is bad for your home’s plumbing, such as harsh chemicals.
- Be responsive- When you notice a slow drain or other small issue, don’t put off calling for residential plumbing repair services. It could take several days to develop into something worse, but it could also become a serious problem much more quickly.
- Be water-conscious- Sometimes the only clue there is a problem is a larger than normal water bill. If you have your water bill set to auto pay, it can be easy to neglect looking at the bill when it arrives. It is far wiser to check it every month to catch a steady increase or large spike, both indicative of a problem.